Thursday, January 1, 2009

memories and gratefulness


I am reading our favorite magazine tonight. It came in the mail the other day and I have been planning a night to devour it. I use to bring it to dental and doctor appts and while the children read or played, I would get in what I could. .. now that Drew is home - life will be different for a while.. a good different but we certainly have a "baby/toddler" in the home again!

Our favorite magazine is DJ. Discipleship Journal, helping you grow in Christ. http://www.discipleshipjournal.com/

In issue 169, Jan/Feb09, page 64, article Buried Treasure by Miriam Z. Walsh I have found a new way to "journal". She says, look for God in your family stories. The article talks about not just journaling what has happen in your life but talk about what God did in that situation. I have one journal that is about me as a mom, me as a girl growing up and me as a person. This is for my children later in life. Not to be seen now but later. I have another journal for each child that is hand written while I waited for them.. whether through pregnancy with Sarah or the adoptions of Sophia, Daniel and Drew. Each one is just for them. about me while I anticipated their arrivals. Within those journals, there are scriptures, tears, laughter and how God was working through me. I never intended to write in any particular way, it was just a form of conversation to my child to tell them how very much they are loved. Looking back it is also telling them how God had/has a hand in their life and mine.

I enjoyed this article b/c it gives me more thought on journaling. I want to journal family stories now (uh, kinda like a blog LOL) to be me AND bob. :O) and facebook doesn't count honey. :O)))

The author suggest guidelines for each event that would be noteworthy to write down: What specifically happened (being specific lends to the beauty of the story) and include your feelings; How did God work on our behalf; what did we learn about God? She also says to keep it handy so you are more willing to write in it often.

For quite some time we, as a family kept a "blessings box". there were pre-cut cardstock in there and any of us felt that we were blessed we would write down the blessing and put it in there. I began to keep prayer request in there as well. sometimes extra money that we were blessed with. I love that little green box. At the end of the year, I would go through them and remember the incidents and always smile b/c it taught me that no matter what, God is good. It also reminded me of happenings throughout the year that I would not have remembered.

My next step.. Bob and I agreeing what would be noteworthy things that happen in our life (over the last 15 years) together where we can convey to our children about our awesome God we serve and how He has been present in our lives, the third strand in our braid.

blessings to you and your family

HAPPY NEW YEAR
by the way.. i posted a cartoon.. not that it particularly pertains to this post but b/c it is funny and describes our life :O)

No comments: